Cocoa Butter is one of my favorite staples for DIY skin care. It has powerful qualities such as reducing the appearance of and preventing stretch marks, deeply moisturizing the layers of skin and soothing skin irritations or inflammation.
I put together a simple recipe for making a whipped cocoa body butter, using 3 natural ingredients. This smells like rich chocolate and is so good for the skin. See the recipe tutorial video below:
About Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter, also called theobroma oil, is a pale-yellow or light brown solid fat extracted from the cocoa bean. Cocoa beans are removed from the large cacao plant. They are then roasted, stripped, and pressed to separate out the fat, known as cocoa butter.
Cocoa Butter is a solid butter rich in antioxidants, vitamins and fatty acids that deeply penetrate the layers of skin to moisturize, improve elasticity and protect it. Its properties make it effective in smoothing or diminishing scars, wrinkles, and similar marks on the skin.
Cocoa Butter melts at skin temperature so can be used on its own as a moisturizer though it is particularly popular as an ingredient in making skin care products such as whipped body butters, balms, creams, lotion bars and more.
Jojoba Oil is packed with nourishing properties that moisturize the skin, leaving it feeling soft and supple. Jojoba Oil is well known for having a composition that closely resembles sebum, the naturally created substance in human skin which helps to keep it moisturized. For this reason it is easily accepted and safe for all skin types.
Coconut Oil is rich in fatty acids which moisturize, repair and protect your skin.
Whipped Cocoa Body Butter Recipe
- 5 oz Cocoa Butter
- 4 oz Jojoba Oil
- 1oz Coconut Oil
How to Make:
- Put Cocoa Butter, Jojoba Oil and Coconut Oil in a heat proof glass container
- Heat it on low in a double boiler, stir the ingredients occasionally while being heated
- Once fully melted, remove from the heat, cover it and put it in the fridge for about 1 hour
- Remove it from the fridge once it is cooled but not completely solid (the sides and bottom are firm but the middle has a bit of liquid or is very soft)
- Whip it using an electric blender for several minutes (or until it is to the desired consistency
- Now it is ready! Scoop into your final containers, cover with a lid and store in a cool dry place.
To use, clean the area of the body in need, pat dry and apply body butter. Allow to soak in. Use once a day or more if needed.
I hope you love this whipped cocoa body butter as much as I do. Let me know if you have questions or feedback by leaving a comment below.